Sunday, August 09, 2009

popcorn ears

corn

I'm really pleased with how my popcorn is looking. 2 or 3 ears per stalk now. I have 3 8 foot rows with about 20 stalks per row. But I'm not going to count the ears until I harvest them.

I was talking with a real farmer yesterday who said to make sure I let the popcorn stay on the stalks a long time - until the silks are fully dry. She said this is the main mistake people make with popcorn. The trick she said is to pick it just before the critters find it. Funny...

corn patch

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Your popcorn looks great! We have a few stalks with 2 ears on them each. I am a little worried that I planted only two rows...there weren't any directions on my packet, but when I told my dad what I had done, he warned me that they may not pollinate properly. I am so nervous! I want my popcorn! :)

kathy said...

A lot of gardeners in our community gardens seem to get good ears even with one or two rows. Your might be great!

kathy said...

A lot of gardeners in our community gardens seem to get good ears even with one or two rows. Your might be great!