my garden plot after vacation
Always fun to see whats new in the garden after being away for vacation.
- The small pumpkins are turning orange. The big ones are getting enormous. I found 2 today and wouldn't be surprised if there are more to be found under the vines.
- The butternut vines are starting to mildew. But no signs of stem borers. I picked my first butternut squash today AND I counted 16 more! Amazing for 3 plants!
- The savoy cabbage is heading nicely as well as a couple more red cabbages.
- The tomatoes seem to be doing better against the Late Blight. The 5 plants left look big and healthy. Still no good ripe tomatoes yet, but looks like I may be able to get some soon.
- Can't wait for that popcorn. It is 7 feet tall and looks really nice.
- I have one sweet potato vine that's growing very well now. Skippy partially dug it up a couple weeks ago and I noticed there are lots of tubers down there.
- The chiles are starting to ripen. Nice red Thai Hots, Nardellos and sweet peppers coming along. Eggplants too are growing well.
- I have a dozen parsnip plants getting big now. And 4 or 5 celeriac. These are new crops for me and it will be exciting to harvest these later. I'm not sure when to harvest. Maybe the parsnips are a spring crop?
- I also have a nice row of winter radish growing. A mix of pink and white ones.
- Have some spaces to fill. I'll have to look up what can be seeded now. I think fall greens, lettuce, spinach, arugula etc. A good thing to plan on doing tomorrow.