This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

fava beans are ripe

picking fava beans
favas through the fence 2 favas in the hand

The first ripe fava beans are at the back off my little patch and I didn't see them until I was walking by outside the garden. So I reached my hand through the fence and picked a couple. The young ones are yummy on the grill.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

I have harvested all my broads and ended up with over a pound from a short row. I have about 3 plants remaining for seed saving so I will have some seed for you next season.

July 16, 2009 11:24 PM

 
Blogger Matron said...

Really great to see seeds being swapped, propagated then swapped again all round the world. I have just picked the last handful of my broad beans. Such a gourmet treat at the beginning of the growing year.

July 17, 2009 5:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden