Saturday, September 06, 2008

Skippy and the great pumpkin

sam cuts the stem
pumpkin sam carries the pumpkin
skippy and the great pumpkin by the garden
skippy and the great pumpkin by the garden 2 me and the great pumpkin 2
the pumpin is in skippy's spot pumpkin by the door
skippy and pumpkin by the door 4

For years I have been trying to grow a giant pumpkin. I am so pleased to harvest this beauty today! Here it is. Fully documented with photos.

The variety is Big Rock, seeds are from Johnny's. I grew four plants - two at my community plot and two at home. Only one fruit set - this one! It bloomed in late July at my community plot, grew fast, then turned orange this week. It was resting a rock and got a bit scarred on one side before a fellow gardener recommended I put foam pads under it.

Today I noticed it was fully orange and sounded hollow when thumped. So my son helped me harvest it. Skippy was a bit peeved when I put it in HIS spot on the car seat. SO he sat on it. I don't know why he couldn't just use the other seat...

I haven't weighed it yet. It won't break any records besides my personal one. I'll add the weight and circumference as soon as I can. This variety averages just under 20 lbs.

I'd like to save this pumpkin until Thanksgiving. I was reading about curing pumpkins for long storage. It seems they do best when cured in the field at 80-85F and high humidity for 10-20 days. But they shouldn't have full sun during this time. I'll try putting it out in my side garden under the tomato vines for a week or so. Then it is supposed to go to a cool dry area. That will be my basement until the weather cools down. With proper curing, pumpkins keep for 2-3 months.

Hopefully I can use this one as decoration on my door step once the weather cools down. For Thanksgiving, I'd like to make pumpkin soup served in the pumpkin rind. I did this several years ago and it was delicious. One challenge is the curing and storage. Another, I'm planning to go to Arizona for Thanksgiving. Hmmm..... I wonder if it will fit in my luggage?
Pumpkin -- Cucurbitaceae spp.

7 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

What a lovely pumpkin. I only had a few set. One set reallly early and I harvested it a couple weeks ago. It's the perfect pumkin, perfectly shaped, but it's small. Still cute and will serve as a beautiful centerpiece on the table for a while.

My mom managed to grow a huge pumpkin this year from one of the vine I gave her. Unfortuneatly an animal decided to "taste" it (and all her other pumpkins) the night before she was going to harvest.

A couple years ago she managed to grow an 80 lb pumpkin, it was all my dad & brother could do to get it to the front porch.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Skippy looks like one happy fellow helping you with that beautiful pumpkin ! It is perfect .. great handle .. wonderful colour .. perfect if not giant sized .. good things come in small packages ? LOL

Jessica said...

Congratz on your pumpkin!! It is beautiful! You are making me want to try pumpkins next year.

Sandra - outrasartes said...

My dog, Nevoa, would have eaten the pumpkin... She loves fruit and vegetables.
You can see her in outrasartes.blogspot.com

Sandra

Sandra - outrasartes said...

Sorry, wrong photo address - http://valedecolmeias.blogspot.com/

kathy said...

I love the photos of Nevoa. Very cute. And nice compost bins and cucumbers too.

Lisa said...

What an excellent pumpkin! I should think just over 10 lbs is perfect. And it's perfect with Skippy sitting next to it...