This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Friday, August 01, 2008

Gretta's CSA farm


I went by the CSA farm around the corner from my house this morning. Absolutely beautiful vegetables! I walked through the fields and took photos in the bright midday heat. You can see some of these posted at Gretta's website.

I enjoyed peeking under squash and melon leaves to see the varieties growing. This photo is some type of melon. From looking over Gretta's planting list I think it may by Earliqueen cantaloupe. I need to ask. Maybe I can get a taste. Gretta has several varieties of beautiful watermelons and winter squashes growing too. Of course, lots of tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and onions. And tons of summer squash. I brought home a delicious bunch of cilantro, some cukes and pretty purple spring onions. The cukes were very nice in my Friday night martini! Thanks Gretta!

Gretta said she still has fall/winter CSA shares available. The link to sign up is at her blog.

Cucurbita pepo (squash)

Melons (Cucumis melo)


Blogger Gretta Anderson said...

Yes, that melon is Earliqueen. The Fedco catalog calls it a muskmelon, but I've been calling it a canteloupe. Whatever it is, there is definitely one reserved for you!

August 03, 2008 12:53 PM

Blogger kathy said...

Thanks! I don't think I've ever had a muskmelon!

August 03, 2008 2:52 PM

Blogger Matron said...

I bet that melon tastes out of this world! There is no smell on earth like a ripe melon! I will definitely have a look at Grettas site!

August 05, 2008 3:05 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden