Friday, August 01, 2008

Gretta's CSA farm

melon

I went by the CSA farm around the corner from my house this morning. Absolutely beautiful vegetables! I walked through the fields and took photos in the bright midday heat. You can see some of these posted at Gretta's website.

I enjoyed peeking under squash and melon leaves to see the varieties growing. This photo is some type of melon. From looking over Gretta's planting list I think it may by Earliqueen cantaloupe. I need to ask. Maybe I can get a taste. Gretta has several varieties of beautiful watermelons and winter squashes growing too. Of course, lots of tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and onions. And tons of summer squash. I brought home a delicious bunch of cilantro, some cukes and pretty purple spring onions. The cukes were very nice in my Friday night martini! Thanks Gretta!

Gretta said she still has fall/winter CSA shares available. The link to sign up is at her blog.

Cucurbita pepo (squash)

Melons (Cucumis melo)

3 comments:

Gretta said...

Kathy,
Yes, that melon is Earliqueen. The Fedco catalog calls it a muskmelon, but I've been calling it a canteloupe. Whatever it is, there is definitely one reserved for you!
Gretta

kathy said...

Thanks! I don't think I've ever had a muskmelon!

Matron said...

I bet that melon tastes out of this world! There is no smell on earth like a ripe melon! I will definitely have a look at Grettas site!