Sunday, June 08, 2008

too hot for gardening

swimmin'

Too hot to do garden work today! Skippy and I paddled around on the lake instead. Aahhh.... Skippy balances up on the bow of the kayak. Sometimes standing, sometimes sitting. A small boy on the shore said he looks like the captain. Cap'n Skip! I like that. More of our kayaking pictures are here.

Where did this weather come from anyway? Last week it was cool and wet, and this week it is toooo HOT. The plants are all wilting in the 90 degree heat.

I did go to my community plot yesterday and never in my life have sweat so much. I quickly planted a row of basil plants next to the tomatoes, added some more cucumber seedlings to the cuke patch and stuck in a few different types of annual flowers. The flowers include orange cosmos, yellow marigolds and pale pink asters. All of these attract beneficial insects (and photographers).

2 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

I tried to beat the heat by getting up early and gardening at 6am. The sun was still hot. And by 8am I was sweating. I feel so sorry for my lettuce. I think being on the water is a much better choice.

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun. Skippy is so cute in his little swimming vest.