Monday, April 07, 2008

bulletin board

I'd like to set up a forum where backyard vegetable gardeners can communicate with each other. It would be nice to have a local forum. (Is this available anywhere - am I missing anything?) Here's my previous post on this topic.

1. The first reason is to see if and when other local gardeners want to arrange to share extra spring seedlings and meet each other. We could set up a site, like Rock Meadow in Belmont on a certain time and day ...

2. Other reasons, to encourage information sharing in an activity that requires a fair amount of info, but is often solitary.

3. To get Belmont on the map as the first US town where every backyard has a vegetable garden (just kidding) (but can you imagine it?....) (I wonder how many there are?)

4. Can you think of other reasons?

So, now I have downloaded, unzipped, and uploaded phpbb3 software to my personal website (sks1.org). I have even gotten the installation procedure to open. My challenge tonight is INSTALLATION. We'll see.....

Well, here's my new board link: Backyard Vegetable Gardeners Board But I don't know how to use this. Any advice? This board seems complicated.

12 comments:

Sjones71 said...

I think the forum is a great idea. I'm not sure how many truly local members you'll get, but what about creating the forum for all backyard gardeners and then creating a folder within it for your local folks? That way you'll get more people to sign up in general and be able to keep your local portion sequestered. Guess I'm selfish! I'd love to have a forum like this, but I'm not all that local to you. I think your local experiment is a great one though.

pigbook1 said...

hmm... I can join, but I am not sure that there are any real forums set up. I would suggest you start by setting up one or two forums (you can add more later) and start the discussions

Anonymous said...

Just like pigbook1 said, now just create some categories for posting into. Make sure that folks can register. There is a lot of spammers out there so dont allow anonymous posting!

kathy said...

OK Thanks.

Margo said...

Great idea, and thanks for setting it up, I look forward to reading/participating!

movinmomof2 said...

looks wonderful!! I look forward to your posts about this new plot!

Anonymous said...

We talk a lot about backyard vegetable gardening in the You Grow Girl forums. It's not just for girls! http://www.yougrowgirl.com/forums

kathy said...

Wow, you've got a great forum!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Some may feel squeamish about eating it, but rabbit has a fan base that grows as cooks discover how easy they are to raise — and how good the meat tastes.

Anonymous said...

I thought you ment Belmont, Long Island, but unfortunately you didn't. I could still contact you through this blog. I have 3 new issues with a new garden after moving from NYC. One squirrels dig up alot of my plants. Two zuchinni dying from borers. Tomatoes with black spot on the bottom or cracking. Thanks for any help. No chemicals please.Judy

kathy said...

Hi anonymous in Belmont LI,

Squirrels are bad news and I don't think, short of putting chicken wire around and over the whole garden, there is much you can do. Figure out what they like and stop growing it. If digging is the only damage they are causing, you could try lying chicken wire on the soil as you plant seeds and the plants will come up through it but the squirrels won't like digging there. I often do this when I plant flowering bulbs.

I have no solution for the zucchinis with borers. Maybe pull them up and plant beans?

Tomato fruits with black rotten spots on the bottom is called bottom end rot and caused by erratic watering during growth of the fruit. Its been a difficult season for irrigation. No rain for weeks, then too much, and also all this heat. If you try to make sure the plants get a good soaking every few days, future fruiting shouldn't have cracking or bottom end rot. (I have seen that these are especially problems for tomatoes in pots as its always hard to properly water containers which tend to dry out faster than garden beds...)