Monday, November 26, 2007

rutabagas

rutabagas
Here are the beautiful rutabagas! I bought these to put in my stuffing for Thanksgiving, but my guests warned me that they would ruin it. Since I've never tried rutabaga, I left them out and looked forward to trying them later.

Well, last night I tried them. Unfortunately, just the smell of slicing and cooking them was unpleasant. It turns out that variability in a certain taste receptor gene makes some people find rutabagas (and turnips) very bitter. That's me. My husband enjoyed them and said they taste sweet like squash.
slices cooked rutabagas on a plate

There's some amusing literature on the rutabaga: The Rutabagan, concerned about rutabaga under use and a post at Dreams and Bones, who serves (and grows!) rutabagas every Thanksgiving.

I think this is one brassica I will not grow in my garden any time soon.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Kathy, so sorry ... ypu are missing out on one of life's rare treats. Thanks for the link to the Rutabagan. It was there I found a wonderful Prairie Home Companion reference. Leave it to Garrison to sum up the beauty that is THE RUTABAGA.