This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Sunflowers and bees

I planted my sunflower seeds too late this year and they didn't sprout. So couple weeks ago I bought some sunflower plants to make a nice row. They are short, about 3 feet tall, but blooming nicely and lots of buds coming. The bees love them. They get sooo coated with pollen its a wonder they can fly.

Labels: ,


Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'd appreciate any thoughts on drying sunflower seeds. nice garden.


April 25, 2007 11:38 PM

Blogger carletongardener said...

I never get close to drying sunflower seeds for my use. The squirrels or the birds have always found them before they are ripe. This row attracted a nice flock of goldfinches who helped themselves until the squirrels finished up. I figure I'm lucky if I get a nice photo of sunflowers in full bloom. Sorry I can't help.

August 14, 2007 9:50 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photos! I'm a beekeeper for a hobby....convinced me to plant sunflowers for my bees.

March 14, 2008 11:36 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi.....can you publish more photos of
flowers that produce nectar and pollen that attract bees

March 14, 2008 11:40 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how fare apart do i seeded sunflower/large russian?

July 22, 2008 7:07 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden